Game #16 • Loyola Maryland (4-11, 2-2 PL) at American (3-12, 0-4 PL)
Thurs., Jan. 11, 2018 • 7 p.m. ET • Washington, D.C. • Bender Arena (3,500)
Stream: Patriot League Network
— Dan Laing (PXP), Jeremy Huber (Analyst), Hannah Wohlfahrt (Sideline)
Live Stats: AUEagles.com
Game Notes: American | Loyola Maryland
News, Notes, and Storylines
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sa'eed Nelson led the Eagles with 15 points, seven assists, five rebounds and two steals against Army West Point.
- Larry Motuzis had 13 points, three rebounds and two assists in Monday's contest.
- Sam Iorio and Drew LaMont each had eight points and connected on 3 of 6 from the outside. Iorio finished with six rebounds and six steals.
- American forced 25 turnovers and converted 22 points off turnovers.
SCOUTING THE GREYHOUNDS
- Chuck Champion leads the Greyhounds in points, averaging 15.8 points per game. Champion has reached double figures in all but one game this year.
- Cam Gregory leads the team in rebounding at 9.1 per contest. Gregory is 18th in all of NCAA Division I and leads the Patriot League in offensive rebounds per game (3.5). He also is second in the league and 41st nationally in overall rebounding (9.1).
- Andre Walker is second in scoring (13.8) and leads the team in assists per game (2.9). Walker hasn't had to carry the load as much this season due to Champion and Gregory contributing.
LAST TIME OUT: Army West Point rallied from a five-point deficit at the half and the Eagles went scoreless in the final 6:02. Sam Iorio hit a 3-pointer to put AU ahead 54-50 late in the second half. John Emzie answered with a 3-pointer with 5:33 left and Babacar Thiombane scored on a short jumper to put Army ahead with 2:02 to play. Tommy Funk hit one of two foul shots to give Army a 56-54 lead before the Eagles missed an inside shot to tie. Tucker Blackwell sealed the victory with two free throws with a second left.
IORIO PL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK: Iorio led all rookies in scoring this week, averaging 16.0 points and 11.5 rebounds. The freshman forward finished with 18 points and 10 rebounds in a 72-63 loss to Colgate on Tuesday. He contributed 14 points and a career-high 13 rebounds in a 70-64 loss to Navy on Friday.
ADD HIM TO THE LIST: Sam Iorio completed back-to-back double-doubles this week with 18 points and 10 rebounds against Colgate followed by 14 points and season-best 13 rebounds at Navy. The last time an Eagles had back-to-back double-doubles was in 2014 when Tony Wroblicky had 12 points and 11 rebounds at Colgate and then 15 points and 12 rebounds at Lehigh. Not since Stephen Lumpkins in 2013, has an Eagles had three consecutive double-doubles.
MISSISSIPPI KING: Jesse Little returned after missing six games with an injury. Prior to his injury, Little averaged 6.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game in the three previous games (Saint Francis, UMES and Western Illinois).