Game #9 • Howard (1-9) at American (2-6)
Sat., Dec. 9, 2017 • 4 p.m.ET • Washington, D.C. • Bender Arena (4,500)
All-Time Record: American, 15-5
TV: NBC Sports Washington+, NBC Sports Philadelphia+
STREAM: Patriot League Network on Stadium
— Al Koken (PXP), Bram Weinstein (Analyst), Dan Laing (Sideline)
Live Stats: http://www.aueagles.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/boxscores/20171209_pcbw.xml
Game Notes: American | Howard
News, Notes, and Storylines
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sam Iorio returned after missing two games to lead the Eagles in scoring with 18 points on 6 of 13 shooting, four rebounds and four steals in 38 minutes.
- Sa'eed Nelson's five-game 20+-point streak was snapped at Western Illinois, but he managed to finish with 14 points in 40 minutes.
- Larry Motuzis had an off night from the outside but finished with 11 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals in 40 minutes at Western Illinois.
- American handled the ball well against the Leathernecks with just 10 turnovers. The Eagles made WIU pay for its mistakes with 17 points off 19 turnovers by the hosts.
SCOUTING THE BISON
- RJ Cole leads the Bison in scoring, averaging 19.3 points per game. Cole has scored in double figures in all 10 games this season. Cole also leads the team in assists with 64 (6.4).
- The Bison packed in another tight non-conference schedule taking on George Washington, Indiana, Gonzaga, Eastern Michigan and South Florida.
- Charles Williams is second in scoring at 18.1 points per game. He led the Bison four times this season in points with a season-high 30 at Arkansas State.
- Zion Cousins will be a test for American inside. He averages 7.1 rebounds and 5.0 points per game.
LAST TIME OUT: American played catch-up most of the game after the Leathernecks held a nine-point lead before a 14-7 run by the Eagles put them ahead 20-19 on a layup by Jesse Little with 5:20 remaining in the half. The Eagles battled back in the second with a 12-4 run and tied the contest 54-54 on a 3-pointer by Iorio with 5:08 left to play. Little gave the Eagles a two-point lead, 56-54, but the Leathernecks finished the contest scoring the final 13 points, holding the Eagles scoreless in the final 4:26 of regulation.
PLAY IT AGAIN SAM: Sam Iorio led the Eagles with a game-high 18 points in 38 minutes after missing the previous two games with a concussion. Iorio shot 3 of 8 from the field and 3-for-4 from 3-point range. He also added four rebounds, four steals and two assists.
JESSE AND THE RIPPERS: Jesse Little had eight points and eight rebounds in one of his best performances of the season. Although His opponent, Brandon Gilbeck stood 6-foot-11 — with a wingspan that would dwarf a regional jet — finished with 17 points, 13 rebounds and eight blocks, Little held his own in the block and made a presence around the rim.
FIVE FOR FIGHTING: Sa'eed Nelson hit all five free throws attempted at Western Illinois. He finished with 14 points and even though he shot 4 of 13 from the field, Nelson drove the lane on Gilbeck numerous times and faced a few no call drives.
#AUMBB vs. MEAC: American is 24-13 against the MEAC. American will renew feuds with local foes Howard and Maryland Eastern Shore this season. American is 4-4 against the Hawks and 15-5 against the Bison. American has not played seven members of the MEAC, who will lose Hampton to the Big South.