Game #8 • American (2-5) at Western Illinois (5-2)
Wed., Dec. 6, 2017 • 8 p.m.ET • Macomb, Ill.• Western Hall (5,139)
All-Time Record: American, 1-0
Stream: ESPN3 / Fighting Leathernecks All-Access
Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/wiu/mbball/
Game Notes: American | Western Illinois
News, Notes, and Storylines
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Larry Motuzis finished with 24 points on 10 of 19 from the field against Maryland Eastern Shore. Of his 19 field goal attempts, Motuzis made 6 of 8 from inside the perimeter.
- Sa'eed Nelson finished with 20 points for the fifth straight game this season. He added a season-best nine rebounds.
- CB Diallo was the third wheel again with 13 points but struggled, committing seven turnovers.
SCOUTING THE LEATHERNECKS
- Dalcan Ancrum leads the Leathernecks in scoring, averaging 19.9 points per game. He is up 11.7 PPG from last season.
- WIU has five wins on the season, but two have come against non-D1 opponents — St. Mary's and Calvary.
- WIU's D1 wins have come against good competition in Eastern Illinois, Southern Illinois -Edwardsville and IUPUI.
- Western Illinois was chosen to finish at the bottom of the Summit League Preseason Poll.
- Dalan Ancrum hit the game-winning three-pointer with one second remaining against SIUE and finished with 34 points. He has reached double figures six of seven games this season.
LAST TIME OUT: American trailed 12-2 early in the contest before a 35-14 run put them ahead 37-26 on a Diallo layup with 3:51 left AU led 55-43 with 14:40 left before a 24-12 run by the Hawks tied the game with 3:37 left.
CARRY THE LOAD: Sa'eed Nelson took a career-best 22 field goal attempts against UMES. He beat his previous game-best of 21 attempts at Army West Point on Jan. 14, 2017.
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN: Sa'eed Nelson has overthrown former AU guard Jesse Reed ('16) with 10 20+ point performances under head coach Mike Brennan. Nelson is the quickest to reach that peak in only his second season with the Eagles. Nelson's career-best 26-point contest at New Hampshire is second to Reed in most single-game points scored during the Brennan era. Larry Motuzis joined Nelson with a 26-point game in only his fifth game as an Eagle. Motuzis is the first player to score that many single-game points in his first season with the team.
ALL ABOUT THE JACKSONS: Sa'eed Nelson has scored 20 or more points in five straight games, averaging 22.8 per contest. He has also helped out at the rim with 6.2 rebounds per game with a season-best nine at UMES.