WASHINGTON – Championship season continues for the American University cross country team this week as the Eagles travel to Penn State for the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Championships on Friday.
ABOUT THE MEET
- The women will open the day's events at noon with the 6,000-meter race on the Blue and White Courses in University Park, Pa. The men's 10,000-meter run will follow at 1 p.m.
- American will be joined by five other Patriot League schools with Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, Loyola Maryland, and Navy.
- The women's field is highlighted by two nationally-ranked programs with No. 8 Villanova and No. 13 host Penn State while the men's race will feature one top-30 school with No. 25 Princeton.
GETTING TO MADISON
- The top two teams from each of the nine regions in Division I will automatically qualify for the NCAA Championships, hosted by Wisconsin at the Zimmer Championship Course on Nov. 17.
- Thirteen teams from across the country will also advance with an at-large berth.
- The top four individual finishers not on a qualifying team will also automatically advance out of each along with two at-large individuals from each region who also finished in the top-25.
- The Eagles are coming off a pair of sixth-place team finishes at the Patriot League Cross Country Championships two weeks ago in Lewisburg, Pa.
- The women were once again paced by senior Adriana Hooks, who earned her third-career All-Patriot League finish with a third-place overall crossing in 21:55.20 over 6,000m.
- Senior Brianna Belo and junior Arianna Lopez both marked significant improvements on their conference championship performances from last season to earn top-30 finishes. Belo led the pair in 27th followed closely by Lopez in 28th.
- Freshman Clare Hernandez placed fourth for the team in 35th overall while senior Kassidy Ayres was the team's fifth finisher in 79th.
- On the men's side, senior Matthew Rainey also led with an All-Patriot League finish, earning his second consecutive with a ninth-place finish in 26:11.30 for 8000m.
- Senior Ben Doiron was across the line next for the Eagles in 24th followed by junior Gerard D'Ambrosio III in 37th, senior Liam Purdy in 47th, and sophomore Max Lustig in 56th.
#AUXC STARTING LINE
- Women: Kassidy Ayres (Sr.), Brianna Belo (Sr.), Katelyn Deibler (Jr.), Clare Hernandez (Fr.), Adriana Hooks (Sr.), Arianna Lopez (Jr.)
- Men: Aidan Caggiano (Fr.), Gerard D'Ambrosio III (Jr.), Miguel Dickenson (Fr.), Benjamin Doiron (Sr.), Max Lustig (So.), Liam Purdy (Sr.), Matthew Rainey (Sr.)
For the latest on American University Cross Country, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.