WASHINGTON - The American University cross country team closed its regular season competition on Friday at the Princeton Invitational with a pair of 14th-place team finishes for both the men and women.
- Senior Matthew Rainey paced the men to open the day, navigating the 8,000-meter course with a new season-best time of 24:52.20. All five scorers on the men's side finished with either season or personal bests, starting with a new season-high for seniors Liam Purdy (46th, 25:05.40) and Ben Doiron (48th, 25:07.70).
- Junior Gerard D'Ambrosio III also hit a new season-high with a 26:24.0 crossing for 152nd overall, followed by a personal record (PR's) from sophomore Michael Weidenbruch to close out the scoring for the men.
- Senior Adriana Hooks was once again at the helm for the women's squad, pacing through in 22:05.20 over the 6,000m course. Freshman Clare Hernandez stepped up as the second finisher for the Eagles for the second meet this season, crossing in 72nd overall (23:01.50), followed by senior Brianna Belo in 74th (23:02.40).
- Junior Arianna Lopez and sophomore Shelbi Wuss rounded out the scoring positions for the Eagles.
American will take next weekend off before traveling to Bucknell on Saturday, Oct. 27, for the Patriot League Cross Country Championships.
For the latest on American University Cross Country, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
RESULTS - MEN
TEAM - 14th, 358 points
31. Matthew Rainey, 24:52.20 SB // 46. Liam Purdy, 25:05.40 SB // 48. Ben Doiron, 25:07.70 SB // 152. Gerard D'Ambrosio III, 26:24.0 PR // 164. Michael Weidenbruch, 26:33.40 PR // 173. Miguel Dickenson, 26:45.20 // 179. Aidan Caggiano, 26:52.80 // 188. Caleb Brown, 27:12.70 PR // 194. Max Lustig, 27:18.20 // 203. John Pagliaro, 27:37.70
RESULTS - WOMEN
TEAM - 14th, 391 points
23. Adriana Hooks, 22:05.20 // 72. Clare Hernandez, 23:01.50 // 74. Brianna Belo, 23:02.40 // 131. Arianna Lopez, 23:45.10 // 140. Shelbi Wuss, 23:52.80 // 149. Kassidy Ayres, 24:03.40 SB // 174. Katelyn Deibler, 24:27.50 // 203. Elise Hooker 25:38.70 // 209. Kaitlyn McTernan, 26:04.10
SB - Season Best
PR - Personal Record