WASHINGTON - American University track & field senior Adriana Hooks highlighted the Patriot League Championship meet for the Eagles squad with two podium finishes, including the program's first-ever title in the women's 10,000-meter run.
- Hooks continued to solidify herself in the AU record books on Friday as she opened the two-day meet with the program's first Patriot League title in the 10,000m run. Her 36:00.48 finish, just outside of her season-best, put her a staggering 38 seconds ahead of the rest of the field as she earned her first career PL title in her last meet as an Eagle.
- Hooks returned on Saturday to fight for her sixth career podium finish, this time in the 5000m run. She battled with the leaders throughout the race before finally closing in third with a final time of 17:13.94.
- Shelbi Wuss also highlighted the women's 5k with a huge season-best, crossing in 18:11.76 to knock nearly 20 seconds off her previous best from earlier this season.
- Emily Houghton hit the only personal record (PR) of the weekend for the women as she shaved off over two seconds en route to the seventh-fastest time in program history (2:15.31).
- On the men's side, Max Lustig continues his impressive ascent through the men's 3000m steeplechase all-time top ten, earning his third consecutive PR of the season to land in the No. 5 spot all-time (9:30.71).
- Trevor Patton closed his career with a PR, trimming off nearly 0.20-seconds to just miss adding his name to the AU 400m dash record books (50.83).
- Liam Purdy, who entered the weekend as the second-fastest 800m runner in program history with his 1:49.95 PR from a few weeks ago, fell just short of a podium spot with his fourth-place finish in 1:51.19.
- Matthew Rainey closed out the scoring for the AU men, placing eighth in the 1500m run (3:51.37).
HEAR FROM COACH GRAHAM...
"We had some challenges and some absolutely phenomenal performances this weekend at Patriot Leagues. We came in with only 11 bullets and came out with one massive season-best, three big personal records, and two top-ten performances. The most impressive of course was Adriana Hooks winning the 10k with authority Friday afternoon, then coming back Saturday to kick her way into third place in the 5k. An incredible way to end her career at AU."
Women's Team - Ninth (16 points)
Men's Team - Ninth (6 points)
|Long Jump, Men||12. Trevor Patton, 6.55m (21-6)|
|400m Dash, Men||16. Trevor Patton, 50.83 PR|
|800m Run, Men||4. Liam Purdy, 1:51.19|
|800m Run, Women||15. Emily Houghton, 2:15.31 PR #7 | 29. Arianna Lopez, 2:20.30|
|1500m Run, Men||8. Matthew Rainey, 3:51.37|
|5000m Run, Men||13. Ben Doiron, 14:49.89 | 29. Gerard D'Ambrosio III, 15:36.54|
|5000m Run, Women||3. Adriana Hooks, 17:13.94 | 18. Shelbi Wuss, 18:11.76 | 32. Clare Hernandez, 18:38.57|
|10,000m Run, Women||1. Adriana Hooks, 36:00.48|
|3000m Steeplechase, Men||11. Max Lustig, 9:30.71 PR #5|
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.