WASHINGTON - The American University track & field team enters the heart of the outdoor season this weekend, as the Eagles travel to Williamsburg, Va., for the 54th Annual Colonial Relays, hosted by William & Mary on Friday and Saturday (March 5-6).
ABOUT THE MEET
Live Broadcast (FloTrack)
Location: Zable Stadium (Williamsburg, Va.)
Teams (Women): Air Force, Binghamton, Bucknell, Central Connecticut, Columbia, Delaware, Delaware State, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, Hampton, James Madison, Loyola Maryland, Manhattan, Marist, Monmouth, Mount St. Mary's, New Hampshire, Norfolk State, Quinnipiac, Richmond, Rider, Saint Francis (Pa.), St. Francis (N.Y.), Saint Joseph's, Saint Peter's, Stony Brook, UMass Lowell, UNC Greensboro, Vermont, VMI, Wagner, William & Mary
Teams (Men): Binghamton, Bucknell, Central Connecticut, Columbia, Delaware State, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, Hampton, Manhattan, Marist, Monmouth, Mount St. Mary's, New Hampshire, Norfolk State, Quinnipiac, Rhode Island, Richmond, Rider, Saint Francis (Pa.), St. Francis (N.Y.), Saint Peter's, Stony Brook, UMass Lowell, Vermont, Wagner, William & Mary
- Seniors Liam Purdy and Matthew Rainey are among the highlights for the Eagles this weekend, as they enter the meet after hitting two of the top times in the Patriot League so far this season.
- Purdy, who was selected as the Patriot League Male Track Athlete of the Week on Tuesday, came through with an 800-meter run personal record (PR) during Saturday's Raleigh Relays, placing second in the elite field with a final time of 1:50.28. That time not only places him atop the current Patriot League rankings for the event but also bumps up to No. 2 in the program record books. He now sits alongside Sean Duffy (2004) and is less than four seconds off the current record of 1:46.92, held by Dustin Emrani since 2007.
- Rainey also finds himself in the lead spot in the current Patriot League rankings after he crossed just off his 1500m PR on Friday at the Raleigh Relays, finishing in 3:49.04.
- Both Purdy and Rainey sit within qualification for the NCAA Championships East Preliminary Round as they sit in 24th and 35th in the east region, respectively.
- Purdy is one of six AU student-athletes selected for the championship sections in their respective events on Friday and Saturday. On the men's side, Aidan Caggiano and Ben Doiron will both be featured in the invitational 5k Friday night while Purdy will be in the invitational 800m on Saturday. On the women's side, Clare Hernandez and Shelbi Wuss earned spots in the invitational 5k.
- Rainey, on the other hand, will be featured in the university section of the 800m run. He ranks 10th in AU history with his PR of 1:52.39.
- This will be the outdoor 5k debut for Hernandez after she added her name to the record book for the event during the indoor season, running an 18:14.10. Wuss currently sits just outside the top ten list for the outdoor 5k with her 18:02.94 PR.
- Adriana Hooks will also be among the highlights for the women's team as she takes on one of her specialty events with the 10,000m run. Hooks currently owns the third fastest time in AU history with her 35:45.81 PR.
|Friday||9:30 a.m.||5000m Run, Women||Katelyn Deibler|
|Friday||9:55 a.m.||5000m Run, Men||Gerard D'Ambrosio III|
|Friday||10:35 a.m.||800m Run, Women||Emily Houghton|
|Friday||11:00 a.m.||800m Run, Men||Faolan Coogan Pluck | Matthew Rainey|
|Friday||1:00 p.m.||Long Jump, Men||Trevor Patton|
|Friday||5:30 p.m.||3000m Steeplechase, Men||Max Lustig|
|Friday||5:55 p.m.||1500m Run, Women||Kassidy Ayres | Arianna Lopez|
|Friday||7:25 p.m.||5000m Run, Women (Invitational)||Clare Hernandez | Shelbi Wuss|
|Friday||8:10 p.m.||5000m Run, Men (Invitational)||Aidan Caggiano | Ben Doiron|
|Friday||8:45 p.m.||10,000m Run, Women||Adriana Hooks|
|Saturday||12:45 p.m.||Sprint Medley, Women|
|Saturday||1:05 p.m.||Sprint Medley, Men|
|Saturday||1:25 p.m.||4x200m, Women|
|Saturday||1:40 p.m.||4x200m, Men|
|Saturday||2:05 p.m.||800m Run, Men (Invitational)||Liam Purdy|
|Saturday||2:15 p.m.||Distance Medley, Women|
The Eagles will stay close to home next weekend with the George Mason Spring Invitational on Saturday, April 13.
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.