WASHINGTON - American University track & field seniors Matthew Rainey and Liam Purdy earned two of the top times in the Patriot League during a busy two-meet weekend for the Eagles as the team enters the heart of the outdoor season.
- Rainey and Purdy were two of the three student-athletes, along with senior Adriana Hooks from the women's team, to travel to the Raleigh Relays, hosted by N.C. State on Friday and Saturday (March 29-30).
- Rainey opened events with an 18th-place finish in the men's 1,500-meter run, closing just off his personal record (PR) with a 3:49.04 crossing. That time puts him over a second ahead of the rest of the Patriot League field and has postseason implication as it ranks 23rd in the NCAA East Region.
- Purdy also put himself in contention for a postseason run after he placed second in the men's 800m run with a new PR of 1:50.28. He also leads the current Patriot League rankings and sits in 23rd in the NCAA East Region. That performance also bumped him up in the top-ten lists as he now ties with Sean Duffy for the No. 2 time in program history. Purdy previously ranked fourth in the record books with his PR from the same meet in 2018 (1:50.93). The current record is 1:46.92, held by Dustin Emrani since 2007.
- The majority of the Eagles' squad competed a bit closer to home with the Navy Spring Meet on Saturday, March 30, in Annapolis, Md.
- Sophomore Max Lustig opened the day with the first of four top-five performances, finishing third in the 3000m steeplechase with a new PR (9:52.12).
- Senior Trevor Patton (men's long jump), junior Arianna Lopez (women's 800m) and freshman Aidan Caggiano (men's 1500m) each placed fifth in their respective fields to highlight Saturday's events.
- The women's 4x400m relay closed the weekend's performances with the seventh-fastest time in program history as the foursome of Emily Houghton, Kaitlyn McTernan, Lopez, and Adriana Hooks finished sixth overall in 4:16.07.
HEAR FROM COACH GRAHAM
"We had a split squad this weekend with a few athletes competing at the Raleigh Relays in N.C. and the rest of the team racing at Navy. Matthew Rainey and Liam Purdy had great weekends at Raleigh, both garnering Patriot League-leading times in the 1500m and 800m, respectively. At Navy, we had some great season openers along with some challenging days for some. We will continue to build on the momentum from this weekend's success and work on our weaknesses as we prepare to go back at it next weekend at the Colonial Relays in Williamsburg, Va."
The Eagles will travel to Williamsburg, Va., next weekend for the Colonial Relays, hosted by William & Mary at Zable Stadium from April 4-6.
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
|800m Run, Men||2. Liam Purdy, 1:50.28 PR #2|
|1500m Run, Men||18. Matthew Rainey, 3:49.04|
|10,000m Run, Women||Adriana Hooks, DNF|
|NAVY SPRING MEET|
|Long Jump, Men||5. Trevor Patton, 6.57m (21-6.75)|
|200m Dash, Men||24. Trevor Patton, 23.63 PR|
|400m Dash, Men||16. Christian Kahn, 52.28|
|400m Dash, Women||11. Emily Houghton, 1:01.40|
|800m Run, Men||25. Faolan Coogan Pluck, 2:04.71 | 26. Caleb Brown, 2:06.65 | 27. Justin Dignan, 2:11.38|
|800m Run, Women||5. Arianna Lopez, 2:21.39 PR | 6. Kassidy Ayres, 2:21.98 | 15. Kaitlyn McTernan, 2:30.33|
|1500m Run, Men||5. Aidan Caggiano, 4:01.02 | 7. Ben Doiron, 4:02.28 | 19. John Pagliaro, 4:17.57 | 24. Miguel Dickenson, 4:30.95|
|1500m Run, Women||12. Shelbi Wuss, 4:56.35 | 17. Elise Hooker, 5:01.77 | 20. Clare Hernandez, 5:05.10 | 23. Katelyn Deibler, 5:10.47|
|3000m Steeplechase, Men||3. Max Lustig, 9:52.12 PR|
|4x400m Relay, Men||8. (Kahn, Brown, Coogan Pluck, Patton), 3:49.40|
|4x400m Relay, Women||6. (Houghton, McTernan, Lopez, Hooks), 4:16.07 #7|