WASHINGTON - The American University track & field team opened its outdoor campaign on Friday and Saturday (March 15-16) at the Alan Connie Shamrock Invitational in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- A series of top-five finishes highlighted the weekend for the Eagles, starting with an event win from senior Liam Purdy. Purdy, who owns the fourth-fastest 800-meter time in program history (1:50.93), paced the field on Saturday with a 1:53.42 crossing.
- Classmate Matthew Rainey finished close behind in 1:55.56.
- Junior Gerard D'Ambrosio III and freshman Aidan Caggiano also finished among the leaders in the men's 3000m run. D'Ambrosio crossed in third overall (8;51.26) followed by Caggiano in fourth (8:53.34).
- Senior Ben Doiron closed out the top finishers for American on the men's side with a third-place crossing in the 5000m (15:06.70).
- On the women's side, senior Adriana Hooks opened her final campaign in the red, white, and blue with a third-place finish in the mile (5:10.85).
- Senior Kassidy Ayres also earned a top-10 finish in the mile (ninth) while sophomore Shelbi Wuss was 10th across the line in the women's 5000m.
The Eagles will split squads at the end of the month between the Raleigh Relays (March 29-30) and the Navy Invitational (March 30).
For the latest on American Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
|200m Dash, Women||17. Elise Hooker, 28.58w|
|400m Dash, Women||40. Elise Hooker, 1:03.71|
|800m Run, Women||12. Emily Houghton, 2:22.04|
|800m Run, Men||1. Liam Purdy, 1:53.42 | 5. Matthew Rainey, 1:55.56|
|Mile Run, Women||3. Adriana Hooks, 5:10.85 | 9. Kassidy Ayres, 5:22.58 | 14. Arianna Lopez, 5:29.16|
|3000m Run, Women||9. Clare Hernandez, 10:57.60|
|3000m Run, Men||3. Gerard D'Ambrosio III, 8:51.26 PR | 4. Aidan Caggiano, 8:53.34 | 19. Max Lustig, 9:28.09|
|5000m Run, Women||10. Shelbi Wuss, 18:53.14|
|5000m Run, Men||3. Ben Doiron, 15:06.70|
|4x800m Relay, Men||3. 8:03.37|