WASHINGTON - The American University track & field team is opening its 2019 outdoor slate this weekend with a spring break trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C., for the Alan Connie Shamrock Invitational on Friday, March 15, and Saturday, March 16.
- Events kick off on Friday morning with freshman Clare Hernandez in the women's 3,000-meter run, followed by the men's race with junior Gerard D'Ambrosio III, sophomore Max Lustig and freshman Aidan Caggiano.
- Hernandez closed her indoor season with one of the top times in program history in the 5000m run, finishing in 18:14.10 during the George Mason Patriot Games for No. 9 in the record book.
- Classmate Elise Hooker will also take to the track on day one with the 200m dash, followed by the 400m dash on Saturday.
- Senior Ben Doiron will open his final season in the red, white, and blue in the men's 5000m run at 7 p.m. on Friday. He sits just outside of the AU top-ten with his personal record (PR) of 14:30.32 from the 2017 season.
- The women's mile will open events on Saturday morning, featuring junior Arianna Lopez and seniors Adriana Hooks and Kassidy Ayres.
- Junior Emily Houghton will round out individual competitors on the women's side in the 800m run, followed by seniors Liam Purdy and Matthew Rainey in the men's 800m.
- Rainey is the only returning NCAA Championships qualifier for the Eagles after he earned a spot in the East Preliminary Round last season in the 1500m. He will look to repeat that feat this season while Purdy continues to chase the 800m school record of 1:46.92. He enters the weekend with a PR of 1:50.93 from last season.
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
#AUTF SCHEDULE - FRIDAY
|9:30 a.m.||3000m Run, Women||Clare Hernandez|
|10:15 a.m.||3000m Run, Men||Aidan Caggiano | Max Lustig | Gerard D'Ambrosio III|
|11:00 a.m.||200m Dash, Women||Elise Hooker|
|4:10 p.m.||4x800m Relay, Women|
|4:30 p.m.||4x800m Relay, Men|
|6:15 p.m.||5000m Run, Women||Shelbi Wuss|
|7:00 p.m.||5000m Run, Men||Ben Doiron|
#AUTF SCHEDULE - SATURDAY
|10:30 a.m.||Mile Run, Women||Arianna Lopez | Adriana Hooks | Kassidy Ayres|
|12:25 p.m.||400m Dash, Women||Elise Hooker|
|1:30 p.m.||800m Run, Women||Emily Houghton|
|1:50 p.m.||800m Run, Men||Liam Purdy | Matthew Rainey|
|4:50 p.m.||4x400m Relay, Women|
|5:15 p.m.||4x400m Relay, Men|