WASHINGTON - Championship season is underway for the American University track & field team as the Eagles head to Navy for the Patriot League Indoor Track & Field Championships on Saturday, Feb. 16, and Sunday, Feb. 17.
Events at Navy's Wesley A. Brown Field House in Annapolis, Md., will begin Saturday morning and will go through Sunday afternoon with the awards ceremony scheduled for 5 p.m. on Sunday.
- Fifteen women and 16 men will represent AU at the two-day championship meet in Annapolis. Events for the Eagles will kick off at 2:30 p.m on Saturday with the men's and women's 60-meter dash.
- The men finished in sixth at this meet last year with 41 points while the women were eighth in the field with 17 points.
- Michael Weidenbruch and Trevor Patton both enter the weekend ranked in the top-12 in the league for their respective events. Patton is ninth in the men's long jump with his season-best 6.76m (22-2.25). Weidenbruch currently sits at 11th in the league for the 5k after his 15:20.98 performance at George Mason's Patriot Games in January.
- The men's team will look to continue its success in the relays - the Eagles were second at this meet last year in both the 4x800m and distance medley (DMR), and placed first at the 2017 indoor championship with a school record performance (7:31.30).
- Matthew Rainey is the lone returner from the title-winning squad two years ago. Rainey was also a member of both podium teams last season along with returners Ben Doiron and Trevor Patton.
- On the women's side, Adriana Hooks enters Saturday's 5,000-meter run with the third-ranked time in the league this season at 17:30.82. Joining her on the line is freshman Clare Hernandez, who currently sits in ninth in the PL rankings (18:05.79).
- Hooks' only podium finish during the indoor championships was during the 3k in 2016 when she placed third (9:53.05). She will return to that event for only the second time since that performance at the championship meet on Sunday.
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
#AUTF SCHEDULE - SATURDAY
|2:30 p.m.||60m Dash, Men (prelim)||Francisco Ventura | Dan Concha-Pedraza | Khalil Ibrahim | Mark Kopp|
|2:45 p.m.||60m Dash, Women (prelim)||Alisha Netus | Monique Rickenbacker | Keelin Ferris|
|3:20 p.m.||5,000m Run, Men||Michael Weidenbruch|
|4:05 p.m.||60m Dash, Men (semi)|
|4:15 p.m.||60m Dash, Women (semi)|
|4:45 p.m.||5,000m Run, Women||Clare Hernandez | Katelyn Deibler | Adriana Hooks | Shelbi Wuss|
|5:10 p.m.||200m Dash, Men (prelim)||Dan Concha-Pedraza | Khalil Ibrahim | Mark Kopp | Yoshimune Satake|
|5:15 p.m.||Long Jump, Men||Trevor Patton|
|5:25 p.m.||200m Dash, Women (prelim)||Olivia Mahony | Rafaela Rubas|
|5:40 p.m.||4x800m, Men|
|5:55 p.m.||4x800m, Women|
#AUTF SCHEDULE - SUNDAY
|12:50 p.m.||60m Dash, Men (final)|
|12:55 p.m.||60m Dash, Women (final)|
|1:30 p.m.||500m Dash, Men||Christian Kahn|
|1:45 p.m.||500m Dash, Women||Kaitlyn McTernan|
|2:00 p.m.||800m Run, Men||Caleb Brown | Justin Dignan | Tommy Sommer|
|2:15 p.m.||800m Run, Women||Lucia Rose|
|2:50 p.m.||200m Dash, Men (final)|
|3:00 p.m.||200m Dash, Women (final)|
|3:10 p.m.||3,000m Run, Men||Miguel Dickenson | Max Lustig | Michael Weidenbruch|
|3:30 p.m.||3,000m Run, Women||Adriana Hooks|
|3:50 p.m.||DMR, Men|
|4:05 p.m.||DMR, Women|