WASHINGTON - The American University track & field team will kick off its 2018-19 slate on Saturday, Dec. 1, with a quick trip to Annapolis, Md., for the Navy Winter Invitational.
ABOUT THE MEET
- Field events will open the day at the Wesley A. Brown Field House at 9:30 a.m. followed by the start of running events at 11 a.m.
- The Field: Navy, Bowie State, Georgetown, Morgan State, Mount St. Mary's, Towson, Wesley College, William and Mary.
- The Eagles return a number of top performers from last season, including NCAA East Preliminary Round qualifier senior Matthew Rainey (1500m). Rainey will be the lone Eagle in the 1,000-meter run scheduled for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- Rainey is also one of two returning All-Patriot League finishers on the men's side along with classmate Ben Doiron. Both were members of the second-place 4x800m team during last year's indoor conference championship meet and Rainey also anchored the distance medley squad to another runner-up finish.
- Doiron will join junior Gerard D'Ambrosio III in the men's 5k to open events on the track at 11 a.m.
- Senior Trevor Patton is another name to look out for on the men's side. Patton will open the day in the long jump before taking to the track for the 200m and 400m dashes. He is the current AU program record holder in the long jump with his personal record (PR) from the 2016-17 season, 7.11m (23-4).
- The women's team also features a podium finisher from last year's Patriot League Championships with senior Adriana Hooks. She was third in the outdoor 10k run and is now coming off her third consecutive All-Patriot League finish at the cross country championship meet.
- Hooks will join sophomore Shelbi Wuss in the women's 5k run at 11:20 a.m. Both own spots on the AU all-time top ten list for the event with Hooks sitting at No. 2 (17:13.73) followed by Wuss in fifth (17:30.66).
- Other program all-time top ten performers to watch out for on the women's side include senior Kassidy Ayres, and juniors Emily Houghton and Arianna Lopez.
- Ayres, who currently ranks eighth in program history for the indoor 3k, will take to the line for the event alongside junior Katelyn Deibler.
- Houghton will also be featured in her record book event with the 500m dash (No. 5, 1:23.35) alongside junior Kaitlyn McTernan and freshman Elise Hooker.
- Lopez, who owns the eighth-fastest 800m time in program history (2:20.97), will appear in the mile run along with freshman Clare Hernandez.
- Hernandez is one of five Eagles to make their track debuts along with Hooker, Aidan Caggiano, Miguel Dickenson, and Christian Kahn.
10 a.m. -- Long Jump, Men (Trevor Patton)
11 a.m. -- 5000m Run, Men (Gerard D'Ambrosio III // Ben Doiron)
11:20 a.m. -- 5000m Run, Women (Adriana Hooks // Shelbi Wuss)
11:45 a.m. -- Mile Run, Men (John Pagliaro)
12:00 p.m. -- Mile Run, Women (Clare Hernandez // Arianna Lopez)
12:30 p.m. -- 60m Hurdles, Men
12:45 p.m. -- 60m Hurdles, Women
1:05 p.m. -- 60m Dash, Men
1:25 p.m. -- 60m Dash, Women
2:00 p.m. -- 400m Dash, Men (Trevor Patton)
2:20 p.m. -- 400m Dash, Women
2:40 p.m. -- 500m Dash, Men (Justin Dignan // Christian Kahn)
2:55 p.m. -- 500m Dash, Women (Elise Hooker // Emily Houghton // Kaitlyn McTernan)
3:10 p.m. -- 800m Run, Men (Caleb Brown // Faolan Coogan Pluck)
3:20 p.m. -- 800m Run, Women (Lucia Rose)
3:30 p.m. -- 1000m Run, Men (Matthew Rainey)
3:40 p.m. -- 1000m Run, Women
3:50 p.m. -- 200m Dash, Men (Trevor Patton)
4:15 p.m. -- 200m Dash, Women (Emily Houghton)
4:45 p.m. -- 3000m Run, Men (Aidan Caggiano // Miguel Dickenson // Max Lustig // Michael Wiedenbruch)
5:00 p.m. -- 3000m Run, Women (Kassidy Ayres // Katelyn Deibler)
5:20 p.m. -- 4x400m Relay, Men
5:45 p.m. -- 4x400m Relay, Women
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.