LEWISBURG, Pa. – American University heads to Bucknell this week for the 2019 Patriot League Swimming and Diving Championships, which run Wednesday through Saturday.
The Eagles have had nearly three weeks since their last competition, which also came at Bucknell's pool. American finished eighth in the team standings for both men and women a year ago and will seek to improve those positions this weekend.
Finals each day begin at 6 p.m., with preliminary heats scheduled each day at 10 a.m. Each session will be live-streamed on the Patriot League Network, with video and live-results links for each session available at AUEagles.com (http://www.aueagles.com/sports/c-swim/2018-19/schedule).
• The PL Championships will be the final conference meet for senior Scott Callander, who has led the men's team for the past couple years. Callander holds the school record in the 100-yard butterfly (48.49) and also has top marks in the 50 free (3rd all-time) and 200 fly (4th). He scored 23 individual points for the Eagles at last year's PL meet.
• AU has a chance to score extra points in the men's fly events, with sophomore Liam Riebling also having marks among AU's top-16 in both. Sophomore Matt Bean scored at last year's meet in the 100 backstroke.
• American's other additions to the list of top-16 marks for the men have come in diving. Junior Connor Chidsey has two new marks (12th on 3-meter, 15th on 1-meter), with junior Ben Cook (14th on 3-meter) and freshman Chris Hernandez (12th on 1-meter) also hitting the lists.
• For the women, AU has 18 individual marks so far this season that are among the top-16 all-time. At the Patriot Invitational at Mason during the fall, the foursome of Alex Brosvik, Eleanor Felton, Kyra Manson and Abby Longstaff set school records in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:35.07, old mark set in 2011) and the 400 freestyle relay (3:28.17, old mark set in 2015).
• Brosvik has new times on AU's top-16 in the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle. Felton, a freshman, and Manson, a transfer from Penn State, have also added new marks in the 50 and 100 free.
• Sophomore Ellie Kight will carry the Eagles' hopes in the distance freestyle events.
• Sophomore diver Anna Derrow had a strong showing recently at the Bison Invitational, posting marks that moved her into seventh at 1-meter and fourth on the high board. Freshman Juliana Lebak is now 13th at 1-meter.
Fans can purchase tickets online at Bucknell.edu/BoxOffice or by calling 570-577-7506. For $40, fans can purchase an all-session pass. Tickets for single preliminary sessions are $10 apiece while tickets for single finals sessions are $15 apiece.
Tickets are required for the sessions on Thursday, Feb. 21 through Saturday, Feb. 23. Preliminaries are slated for 10 a.m. on those days, with the finals following at 6 p.m. Admission will be free on Wednesday, Feb. 20, on which there is only a 6 p.m. finals session.
Students enrolled at a Patriot League institution will receive complimentary admission to each session if there are tickets or standing-room-only admission space available. Enrolled students will need to present their IDs at the box office to pick up a ticket.