FAIRFAX, Va. – The quartet of Abby Longstaff, Eleanor Felton, Kyra Manson and Alex Brosvik posted their second school record in three nights on Saturday when they earned a second-place finish in the women's 400-yard freestyle relay in the Patriot Invitational swimming and diving meet.
They went 3:28.17 in the relay on Saturday, cutting more than a second off the previous school record. The same foursome set the 200 free relay school record on Thursday.
The finish helped the AU women to an eighth-place finish in the team standings. The Eagles missed seventh by a half-point and sixth by only 5.5 points.
AU's men were seventh in the team standings. Scott Callander finished eighth in the 200 butterfly to post the best individual finish for the men on Saturday.
• The old record in the women's 400 free relay was set at the Patriot Invitational in 2015. Olivia Wons, Caylee Watson, Juliana Cavano and Paris Wood went 3:29.53 at that meet. Longstaff's leadoff swim of 53.18 is 14th all-time in the 100 free.
• AU's women had strong swims in the regular 100 free. Brosvik cut almost two seconds off her season-best, with her 52.21 time moving her from eighth to seventh on AU's all-time list. Felton went 52.61 to tie for 10th all-time and Manson won the 'C' final in 52.52 to move into ninth at AU.
• Freshman Malak Hattab was 11th in the 200 breaststroke in 2:23.49, cutting seven seconds off her previous season-best and moving into seventh at AU.
• Lily Koenig won the 'B' final in 2:03.76, placing ninth overall after qualifying 13th in the morning swim.
• Alex Feys also had a top-10 finish, cutting more than five seconds off her previous mark in the 200 butterfly at 2:05.89.
• Callander was fourth in the morning prelims in the men's 200 fly at 1:51.39, posting a season-best. Liam Riebling had a career-best 1:52.87 and finished 11th overall, improving his time which is ninth all-time at AU.
American will compete next at the U.S. Swimming Short-Course Nationals (Nov. 29 – Dec. 1) and at the ECAC Winter Championships (Nov. 30 – Dec. 2).