FAIRFAX, Va.– Eleanor Felton and Lily Koenig each earned fourth-place finishes in their event to lead American University swims on Friday in the Patriot Invitational swimming and diving meet hosted by George Mason.
Felton, an Eagle freshman, went 56.42 in the preliminaries of the 100-yard butterfly, moving into a tie for fifth all-time in the event. Koenig competed in the 100 backstroke, with her time of 56.50 the best by an Eagle this season and a season-best by two seconds.
American was in eighth place in the women's team standings after the second day of the three-day meet. The Eagles were within 1.5 points of UMBC, which was seventh.
AU was also in seventh place on the men's side, with senior Scott Callander leading their swims. Callander went 49.62 in the 100 butterfly in the morning preliminaries, cutting more than a second off his season-best.
The meet finishes with events on Saturday.
• Alex Feys went 56.30 in the 100 fly prelims, moving from fourth to third all-time at AU in the event. She was eighth in the A-final during the evening session. Kyra Manson was 10th overall after the finals, with her 56.67 swim ranking eighth at AU.
• Abby Longstaff had a second-swim in both the 200 free (12th in prelims at 1:55.50) and the 100 back (58.13 in the prelims).
• Alex Brosvik moved from 16th to 11th all-time in the 100 breaststroke with her 19th-place finish at 1:06.79. Freshman Malak Hattab was 22nd, swimming a season-best 1:07.11 to move into 12th all-time at AU.
• Felton posted the 13th-best mark for AU in the 100 back, going 58.82 in the morning session.
• Liam Riebling cut more than two seconds off his previous season-best in the 100 fly, placing sixth in the prelims at 49.91 and moving into seventh all-time at AU.