FAIRFAX, Va.– American University's 200-yard freestyle relay squad set a school record with its effort Thursday night at the the Patriot Invitational at George Mason University.
American's men were in seventh place in the team competition after the opening day. Senior Scott Callander had the best individual swim of the day for the Eagles, going 21.22 in the 50 free prelims.
The nine-team Patriot Invitational continues through Saturday evening.
• The old school record in the women's 200 free relay was 1:35.61. Dory Isaacs, Leah Breen, Elinor Shetter and Alexandra Ramdin went 1:35.61 at the 2001 Patriot League Championships.
• Brosvik went 23.76 in the 50 free prelims in the morning, cutting nearly a full second off her previous season-best and moving into third all-time at AU in the event. Eleanor Felton swam 23.96 in the prelims to move into 5th all-time, while transfer Kyra Manson had a 24.02 morning swim to move into seventh.
• Brosvik's strong day extended into the 200 individual medley, as she won the C-final in 2:07.86, moving into 11th all-time at AU. Natalie Hamlet was 16th in the 200 IM, swimming 2:08.88 in the prelims.
• Ellie Kight cut 11 seconds off her previous season-best in the 500 free, going 5:05.54.
• Anna Derrow had the Eagles' best individual finish of the day, placing fourth in the 3-meter diving event. She scored 229.65 in the prelims.
• Lily Koenig, Brosvik, Manson and Felton placed fifth in the 400 medley relay, with their time of 3:51.04 moving into sixth all-time at AU.
• Riebling came back later to cut eight seconds off his previous season-best in the 500 free at 4:42.70. Bennett cut 17 seconds to post a 4:44.49 in the morning swim.
• Chris Hernandez was 11th in the men's 1-meter diving competition.